From: "Shmuel Wolfson" <shmue...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 12:43
Subject: Suggestion - file format
To: <ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org>

I have a suggestion for OpenOffice that I think will help it become more popular.

Most users are not very computer savvy. They are afraid of incompatibility so they stick to Word which most people have. Therefore I think the default option when installing OpenOffic should be to save files in MS Office formats.

You could have a dialog box asking the user to select whether they want the default file format to be:

o Files compatible with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) - recommended for users who want compatibility with Microsoft Office

o Files compatible with the open standard - recommended for advanced users

The default should be compatible with Microsoft Office so when the average user just clicks Next, that's what they will get. I know that there is an option to change the default format, but the average user doesn't know that and isn't interested in having to do that step.

Shmuel