On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Shenfeng Liu <liush...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Considering this... Then I agree with Dennis that we should consult users
> for ODF format.
> But my concern is that it will look like Apache OpenOffice gives the same
> weight of support to ODF and MS Office format. But the truth is not...

"Best Practice" is something like this;

1) In install program wizard have a dialog that lists the file formats
that AOO could handle, and and show the user which formats we
recommend should be controlled by AOO.  Allow the user to modify that
list if they wish, before they confirm.   It is fine to give a
recommendation/default here that prefers ODF.  But we make sure the
user has the ability to change the defaults.

2) Each time we we start up AOO check to make sure we are the default
handler for ODF files.  If we are not, then prompt the user whether
they want to make AOO be the default handler.  This protects the user
if another application takes over our file extensions.   Also have an
option for the user to disable this check.

Maybe something to consider in 3.5 or 3.6?

-Rob