Steele, Raymond wrote:
Information about the Solaris port is useful to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robw...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:37 AM
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the
ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?

I'm drafting the 3.4.1 release announcement blog post.  I have a bullet list
where I highlight what is in 3.4.1.  I list what platforms are supported,
mention the Windows 8 compatibility improvements,  and then follow with this
bullet item:

"Community members are also working on BSD, Solaris and OS/2 ports, with plans to
release these outside of Apache."

Is this accurate and worth saying?   Would it make sense to also
include links for each of these ports, where the reader can go for more
information?

Although these are not Apache releases, they are part of the close ecosystem,
with developers working directly in our project to support these ports.  So I
think there is some logic to mentioning them in the release announcement.  But
work that happens entirely outside of the project, like portable applications
versions, would not get a mention.

Does this seem fair and appropriate?

If we agree to do this, I'll need a link for each of BSD, Solaris and OS/2, for
more information.

The alternative would be to not mention the ports at all.

Hi Rob;

I was just considering asking the same question in regards to the 3.4.1 Release Notes. I believe that is is worth mentioning all three platforms as even though they may not as yet release through the Apache infrastructure the work is being done within the project by people, some of whom if not all, are committers.

Regards
Keith