Am 07/31/2012 11:04 PM, schrieb drew:
On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 14:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
I'm drafting the 3.4.1 release announcement blog post.  I have a
bullet list where I highlight what is in 3.4.1.  I list what platforms
are supported, mention the Windows 8 compatibility improvements,  and
then follow with this bullet item:

"Community members are also working on BSD, Solaris and OS/2 ports,
with plans to release these outside of Apache."

Howdy Rob,

Is this accurate and worth saying?

Yes IIRC and yes IMO.

Also from me a yes. I think it's an advantage to point to other platforms that we (somehow) support as this shows clearly a big diversity and open mind.

Would it make sense to also
include links for each of these ports, where the reader can go for
more information?

I would think a better return if instead of putting direct links for
each, create a fixed address (wiki page?) for 'other ports' (or more
appropriate for a title).

Or a separate webpage, but anyhow. A single page that contains all ports with a bit text and finaly a link to go to the respective download possibilities.

Link to that from the announcement/blog and would make that a precedent
for future announcements.

Although these are not Apache releases, they are part of the close
ecosystem, with developers working directly in our project to support
these ports.  So I think there is some logic to mentioning them in the
release announcement.  But work that happens entirely outside of the
project, like portable applications versions, would not get a mention.

I would disagree, somewhat, in that personal preference would be to
include the 2 or 3 portable 'wrapper' distributors as this has seemed to
be of interest to quite a few folks in the past.

Right. Just add them to the single page with text and link. That's it. :-)

Just my .02

//drew

Does this seem fair and appropriate?

If we agree to do this, I'll need a link for each of BSD, Solaris and
OS/2, for more information.

The alternative would be to not mention the ports at all.

I don't see this as an alternative. Even when we don't support the ports and portables directly resp. in a big way, it's absolutely worth to mention this. The most common thing is the shared code base - and that's not small.

Marcus