On 02.08.2012 23:14, Kay Schenk wrote:
OK, here's the short story -- NOT a show stopper but this should be covered
in Installation Guide (or a wiki article created to be referenced) until a
good way to solve this -- not yet determined.

This applies to openSUSE 11.4 on up and probably other *nixes now using
KDE4 instead of KDE3.

The 3.4.x installs and I think also 3.3 sets things up in KDE as if kde3
were the default -- icons etc end up in /opt/kde3/share/icons/...

Once the desktop-integration is run for SuSE, the applications themselves
are recognized because they get installed in a default /bin directory, but
the icons are NOT automatically attached to the executables in the graphic
menues because the default location of icons in kde4 is
"kde4_user_install_area"/share/icons vs /opt/kde3/share/icons/ where the
desktop-integration now puts them...

In my case "kde4_user_install_area" is /usr.

I remember one of my colleagues at Sun/Oracle had worked on a KDE4 integration. I think it was essentially finished but due to some non-technical reason was never integrated. Maybe there is a child work space with the necessary changes that we could integrate?

-Andre

What this means is the icons are THERE, but you must manually make changes
via the kde menuediting system -- kdemenuedit-- to make them show up
correctly.

Further thoughts... is it time to revisit the desktop-integration business?
Can these made more generic based on something else for Linux -- window
managers vs OSes?