Am 08/03/2012 09:28 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
On 02.08.2012 23:14, Kay Schenk wrote:
OK, here's the short story -- NOT a show stopper but this should be
covered
in Installation Guide (or a wiki article created to be referenced)
until a
good way to solve this -- not yet determined.

This applies to openSUSE 11.4 on up and probably other *nixes now using
KDE4 instead of KDE3.

The 3.4.x installs and I think also 3.3 sets things up in KDE as if kde3
were the default -- icons etc end up in /opt/kde3/share/icons/...

Once the desktop-integration is run for SuSE, the applications themselves
are recognized because they get installed in a default /bin directory,
but
the icons are NOT automatically attached to the executables in the
graphic
menues because the default location of icons in kde4 is
"kde4_user_install_area"/share/icons vs /opt/kde3/share/icons/ where the
desktop-integration now puts them...

In my case "kde4_user_install_area" is /usr.

I remember one of my colleagues at Sun/Oracle had worked on a KDE4
integration. I think it was essentially finished but due to some
non-technical reason was never integrated. Maybe there is a child work
space with the necessary changes that we could integrate?

-Andre

You are right. IMHO it was Martin H. (mh) with a CWS that should have "kde4" in its name, maybe more or less together with Heiner (?).

Marcus

What this means is the icons are THERE, but you must manually make
changes
via the kde menuediting system -- kdemenuedit-- to make them show up
correctly.

Further thoughts... is it time to revisit the desktop-integration
business?
Can these made more generic based on something else for Linux -- window
managers vs OSes?