Hi,

On 03.08.2012 10:04, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
On 8/3/12 9:51 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
Hi,

in order to avoid that somebody has missed the stuff ongoing
regarding the
update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1:
In another thread - see [1] - Rob asked for the update service for
OOo 3.1 and
OOo 3.1.1. Nobody objects so far. But this was somehow hidden in
another thread.
Thus, I am bringing it up to its own thread.

I will start working on this task, if nobody objects.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/3fwnjrk7isyt5wa4

No objections so far.
Thus, I will go ahead.

First, I will ask Apache Infrastructure to establish the needed
redirect from
[2] to [3]. In the meanwhile I will create the corresponding XML
document for
this update service. I am planning to activate it after our Apache
OpenOffice
(incubating) 3.4.1 release.

[2]
http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
[3]
http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update32/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

I have submitted JIRA issue INFRA-5112 [1] requesting to establish the
needed redirect. I am asking Apache Infrastructure to establish the
redirect until 2012-08-15 in order to reach out our users of OOo 3.1 and
OOo 3.1.1 instance just in time with our planned AOO 3.4.1 release.

I think we should start thinking about a more flexible dynamic approach.
A real web service or script that provides the info on demand and
dynamically generated based on the parameters. Means we would have one
Url in the future where we can much easier tweak  and extend the
underlying data instead of new Urls for new releases.

The question is
- what is posible with the existing infra structure
- who has the knowledge and interest to work on this
- ...

Any ideas or opinions

Yes, I agree here with Jürgen.

That is the reason why I am planning to give a talk on ApacheCon EU about the update function in AOO and the Update Service. In this talk I will give a deep insight in its purpose and functionality which should be enough input for a corresponding volunteer to create a "real" web service for our Update Service. I also expect to get in contact in person with Apache Infrastructure people in order to discuss certain prerequisites and requirements.

But, we can start the discussion right now and here on the list.
Thus, anybody who has expertise in creating such a web service and volunteers to take over this task can get corresponding information about the update function and the corresponding protocol here and at the wiki [1].

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol

Best regards, Oliver.