Hi,

On 15.08.2012 16:00, Dave Fisher wrote:
Hi,

Apologies to the Apache Infra team, the load caused by implementing
INFRA-5112 caused trouble.

The changes to update*.services.openoffice.org to point to www.openoffice.org
was reverted.

This was due to added load on the Apache Infrastructure.

Before we can proceed with INFRA-5112 and INFRA-5144 we absolutely must have
some estimates about the volume of requests that will be received.

When I saw the problems on www.openoffice.org in the morning I already suggested that this might be related to the established redirects. I reported my assumption at #asfinfra in the morning. If I remembering it correct, Kay S. and Joe S. already observed something like this earlier this year.

Unfortunately, I can not provide any volume.
In the past more than 100 million download of OpenOffice.org package had been counted by the OpenOffice.org community. I do not know how much OOo installation are really active and how the distribution between the different versions are.

What I know is the following:
(1) update38.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.4 Beta and released AOO 3.4 - a redirect for it has been established at 2012-05-21 and the traffic can be handled. (2) update36.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.3 - a redirect for it has been established at 2012-06-04 and the traffic can be handled. (3) update35|34.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.2.1 and OOo 3.2 - redirects for then have been established at 2012-07-12 and the traffic can be handled. (4) update33.services.openoffice.org is _not_ used - a redirect is _not_ necessary. Does occur any traffic on this URL? (5) update32.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.1.1 and OOo 3.1 - a redirect has been requested and was established today. Due to the server load it has been reverted. Is the traffic data available? (6) update31.services.openoffice.org is _not_ used - a redirect is _not_ necessary. Does occur any traffic on this URL? (7) update30.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.0.1 and OOo 3.0. Does occur any traffic on this URL? (8) update.services.openoffice.org seems to be used by OOo 2.x version (at least my test installation of OOo 2.2 uses it). Is the traffic data available? When I remember it correct Kay S. and Joe S. observed the above mentioned problems earlier this year with this URL.

Is it possible that somebody from the Apache Infrastructure can provide a view on which URL the traffic load was soo high that the servers got in trouble?

Best regards, Oliver.