On 5 September 2012 09:22, Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2012, at 7:11 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,

>> I'd like to preface Rob's answers with a couple of remarks.
>>
>> I went to your website [1] where it is clear that your company is in the
>> business of selling support for openoffice.org. There is nothing wrong with
>> that as long as it fits the new rules here at The Apache Software
>> Foundation. The Apache License allows you to do as you wish as long as you
>> respect the trademarks. [2] Guidelines are found here [3] and here [4].
>>
>> The distribution page is here [5] we appreciate your offer to help. It is
>> important for everyone in the OpenOffice ecosystem to be as successful as
>> possible.
>>
>> Rob's questions are good, but I think that understanding and how to navigate
>> the above would be most helpful in determining how update and improve the
>> message. I'll answer some of Rob's questions in that context.
>>
>> [1] http://www.123openoffice.com/
>> [2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
>> [3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
>> [4] http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html
>> [5] http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/
>>

>>> Is it clear, from the previous discussions, what the range of concerns
>>> were?  If so feel free to make a proposal. Any community member can do
>>> this.
>>>
>>> The questions I want to see addressed in a proposal would be:
>>>
>>> 1. What does it mean to be a distributor?  Any requirements?  If so
>>> how are these checked?
>>
>> This could be certification of passing the above and getting a trademark and
>> project approval.
>>

>>> 2. Where on the website do we list distributors?  What disclaimer
>>> should we include?
>>
>> We should list those who have been reviewed for trademark compliance.
>>

>>> 3. How do we ensure the list remains accurate and fair?
>>>
>>> 4. Do we anticipate any logo or other trademark use in conjunction
>>> with this program?
>>
>> This site uses the openoffice.org community distributor logo/
>>

>>> Obviously some of the questions are interdependent. At the easiest
>>> level, a simple list, managed by distributors on a wiki page, with a
>>> disclaimer, would be easy to implement.
>>
>> The list should be about how to get trademark approval.
>>

> When I say "the easiest level" I mean no logo or other trademark use
> beyond permitted nominative use, which requires no special permission.
> Beyond that we'd need additional structure and process.
>
> But maybe simple is good enough?

In the previous OOo distribution project pretty well anyone could be
listed if they provided a distribution service (and didn't make bogus
or unethical claims). We used to do it by providing CDs with OOo on
them and some additional clip art etc for those with slow download
connections. We sold discs at £5 each to cover the preparation posting
etc and that was a fairly common practice. We also experimented a bit
at shows selling CDs to cover the cost of booth space. That was touch
and go as to whether it worked and probably depends on the show. So
I'd say low barrier to entry for distributors - we need wide
distribution and while fast broadband has reduced the need for CDs etc
there is still value in this. I think Sun always treated CD labels
carrying the OOo logos and trademarks as nominative use to encourage
the widest possible spread. I don't see any advantage in not
continuing that policy. I think there is probably untapped
opportunities for distribution businesses eg when UK homeless people
sell The Big Issue on the streets they could also sell AOO discs,
motorway service station racks etc. My view is that we should
encourage such enterprises.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940