On 9/13/12 10:48 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:44:46 +0200
> Raphael Bircher <rbirc...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 13.09.12 10:34, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
>>> In most implementations of OpenOffice the configuration information is
>>> accessed through /Tools /Options. On a Mac, this information is accessible
>>> through Preferences.  This other path causes great confusion for Mac users
>>> when the problem advisor does not notice the use of the different operating
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason why Macs use that path, and would it be possible to use
>>> the conventional /Tools /Options path on new builds, instead of, or as well
>>> as, the usual Preferences path on Macs?
>>>
>> Mac has UI Guide Lines who are much stronger then on many other Systems.
>> One of this Guide line is to keep any settings in the Preferences. It's
>> on the same places on any Mac Programm. You confuse all experianced Mac
>> Users, if you change this.
>>
>> So a big -100 from my side.
>>
>> We should maybe create a Tutorial about the differences.
>>
>> Greetings Raphael
>>
> Thank you for the explanation, Raphael.  Would it be a good idea to provide
> _as well_ the standard /Tools /Options?  Then Mac users would have the best
> of both worlds!

I don't think so but we can do better to explain such useful
differentiation. Our goal should be to keep the UI simple or better to
make it more intuitive. We have many features that are not easy to find
yet and before we duplicate entries I would prefer to use the space for
something else.

In this specific case I think that Mac Users are aware of this
difference and of course would expect it where it is now. See for
example Firefox where it is done in the same way. We want to be a good
citizen on the Mac platform and will integrate in the best way we can.
There is still work to do.

Juergen