Am 10/08/2012 04:58 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
On 10/8/12 3:36 PM, Shenfeng Liu wrote:
Hi, all,
   I'm just back from China Mid-Autumn/National-Day holidays. So I'd like to
pick up the milestone build topic again.

thanks for picking it up again, we should definitely start with snapshot
builds asap

   We already get the support from QE team for the test plan. So I think we
need to do the following:

1. build out the milestone build. I saw from the buildbot that we have the
Windows and Linux-64 build successfully today. So it can be the candidate
of our first milestone build. While my question are:
  (1) Can we add more platforms (e.g. Mac, Linux-32, OS2...)? They need to
be built manually.

The build bots are still not build the same as we do for the binary
releases (please correct me if I am wrong). Means as long as we don't
have build bots which are building with the same configuration we should
provide the builds manually in the same way we did it for the release.

@Ariel, would that be ok for you fro now until we have a better solution?

I will take care of Windows and MacOS.

  (2) How many language support can we get for this milestone build? Not
necessary to be 100% translated, but can be a base for volunteers to verify
the translation.

We should include the languages that we have released and add all
languages where we notice active volunteers who help us to support these
further languages (eg. Polish, Danish, Scots Gaelic, ...)

  (3) The current development snapshot naming [a] is a little confusing to
me. I wonder if we can change the naming to reflect the date of the build?

I am not sure if understand you correct. The revision is a unique
identifier and makes it clear what went in the snapshot. We probably
upload the builds not all on the same day. Means I am not sure how a
date can help here.

I also wouldn't rely on a date value, even if it's looking right on the fisrt view. The revision number is what referenced everywhere (SVN, BZ). So, whenthe developer asks you "In which build have you seen this or that?" then you can tell her/him just the rev number.

2. upload the build and update the development snapshot wiki [a].

3. Run the testing against the build.

4. prepare related documents.
  (1) update the release notes wiki [b] for new values in this milestone
build.
  (2) a wiki page to record the testing result to this milestone build.

1 + 2 are good ideas to keep the info up-to-date and to reduce the work
later on short in front of the release.

  (2) a web page to announce this milestone build.

mmh, when we want to promote the dev builds more we should consider the
use of the mirrors. But this means we have to do more "release"
preparation. I am not sure if we can and want manage this additional
overhead at the moment. But I am open and we should check what's
necessary to achieve this.

For the normal testing IMHO we can rely on an en-US full build and langpacks only for all other languages.

For special issues (e.g., fixes for the installer and system integration) we could build special install files on demand.

BTW:
I think it's clear that - if we all agree that we want it - I can support this process with updating the download webpages to offer the dev builds here instead (or additionally) of the Wiki. ;-)

Marcus

   I can contribute to #4.

   Any thing else to add? Or any suggestion/comments?

- Simon

[a]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds
[b]