On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM, jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is a BIG +++1 from me.
>
> Being a new contributors, I could have saved a lot of "stupid" questions,
> had I had a reading list.
>
> I have spent quite a number of hours (and that of others too) finding
> things, everybody knows.
>
> It would be good to have 1 wiki page with a suggested reading and items to
> do (get a wiki account etc.). That page can then later have specialized sub
> pages depending on the type of volunteer.

Right.  This is the idea.

> What really bothers me, is that I waste time for many others, who are very
> polite in helping me get over the first start....with many new volunteers
> (assuming I am on average) that is a lot of time, that could have been
> spent on more fruitful things.

Well, I must admit that your recent contributions, enthusiasm and
questions have prompted these thoughts.  Please don't be bothered that
you have questions.  This is getting us in the right direction and
pointing out where we need to improve.  This is good.  We all need to
keep a good attitude about this.  And I think so far we're doing this
well.

> I agree however that the wording of the page should be choose well, words
> like "suggested reading" are far better for those who take things
> personally.

Good point.

> I will gladly review such a page :-)

Great.  Maybe we can start a thread on L10N list about what the
"essential skills" a new volunteer would need in that area?

-Rob