On 26 October 2012 16:04, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The launch of 4.0 is a unique opportunity in the life of AOO both now and
> > far into the future.
> >
> > The branding needs to position us in the market place, be distinctive and
> > unique and makes a statement about the product.
> >
> > The creation of this requires a skillset that we do not have an over
> > abundance of in the project.
> >
> > The proposal therefore is to initiate a contest to create this new
> > branding, this would have multiple benefits in terms of community
> outreach,
> > marketing and raising brand awareness.
> >
> > The contest would be source of the eventual branding of AOO 4.0
> >

> +1
>
> The devil is in the details, but I think a contest can be a great way
> of getting many ideas, but also promoting AOO 4.0.  It makes it "an
> event".
>
> I think Dave mentioned that another Apache project had a logo contest
> and received a large number of entries.

I arranged one for the OOo schools mascot with Daniel Carrera. It was quite
easy to do and got a lot of publicity.

> > The process would be:
> >
> > Formulate a RFP with contest details and guidelines (these would include
> > the product name and a reasonable outline of our target markets),
> > timeframe, methodologies of presentation and breadth of branding
> elements.
> >
> > Perhaps sound out some sponsors for a prize
> >
> > Filter responses for eligibility according to the initial criteria
> >
> > Filter responses for global appropriateness
> >
> > Filter responses for target market relevance
> >

> It will be important that this filtering is done in a way that
> everyone sees as fair.  Who judges "global appropriateness", for
> example?
>
> One way might be to appoint a judging panel.

The way we did it was to put up all the entries on a web page and got all
the participants to vote on-line - peer review essentially. The winner was
clear-cut. A 16 year old Italian boy who aspired to be a graphic designer.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.