On 29 October 2012 10:19, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> KG01 - see comments inline.
>
> On Oct 27, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On 26/10/2012 Ian Lynch wrote:
> >> I arranged one for the OOo schools mascot ... The winner was
> >> clear-cut. A 16 year old Italian boy who aspired to be a graphic
> designer.
> >
> > Here he is (by chance, he's called Andrea too):
> > http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/interview_andrea_maggioni.html (EN)
> > http://www.openoffice.org/it/stampa/comunicati/avv12.html (IT)
> > A quick web search shows that in the end he managed to become a graphic
> designer indeed!
> >
> > The mascot is at the end of
> > http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/education/schools/
> > but it didn't have that much recognition in the end.
> >
> > Indeed, as Ian pointed out, the main value of that competition was in
> getting media exposure;
>
> KG - Wouldn't the value in the contest be the new branding elements? I'm
> not sure that this is the best way to hold a marketing event.

Maybe not the best, but will it help? Question is not perfection but is it
better to do it than not to do it. Why not add value with a
multi-dimensional approach rather than fix to only one thing? Especially if
the additional effort is minimal.

>From a UX design perspective, this approach presents risk. The branding is
> bound to the UI, and other supporting visual elements.

All approaches present risk. There is no obligation on the PMC to adopt any
branding that it does not see as appropriate for whatever reason so the
risk of getting a brand that causes UI problems is no higher than if it is
done entirely in house.

> We are just starting to explore the AOO branding and UX enhancements for
> AOO 4.0. I'd prefer we explore this in house first. We don't have our full
> inventory of requirements yet.

Why not do both? Crowd sourcing ideas is no real disadvantage if there is
no requirement to adopt any of the specific proposals. It might be that
only a logo is used, or a packaging presentation from the competition, or
all of it or none of it.
Even just framing the competition scope and rules helps provide some focus
for development. Putting it out to art and design colleges and universities
will raise our profile and tap into resources and expertise we currently
don't have. And in the end we don't have to adopt any of the entries if we
don't want to, they could just help stimulate ideas.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.