Here are a few of my thoughts from the article:

1) Web applications and frameworks: we have mod_rexx, but maybe we should
look at tying a complete framework together, server-side to client-side,
something like rexx on rails.

2) Database integration: While rexx has rexx/sql ooRexx doesn't have a good
oo/sql interface, it's still limited to stem objects. Maybe rewriting or
writing an sql interface using the new API interface that is packaged with
ooRexx is a good idea.

3) ooRexx's niche: Niches are important, what niches does/can ooRexx have? I
know the push for compiling and running it on Iron as ebbed and flowed, but
tying iron to the web seems like a logical potential niche. Another niche
that my company uses Rexx for is a kind of glue that binds other programs
and applications together. Using it's integration with the command shell and
OLE we have a lot of flexibility that would be harder to accomplish in
another language.

Personally: my company uses ooRexx in three areas: server-side web
development, back-end processing (often using OLE to automate MS Excel) and
telephony integration with Asterisk. We do this on a mixture of Linux and
Windows. ooRexx has been a good fit for us in this sort of work.

Thanks,

David Ruggles
CCNA MCSE (NT) CNA A+
Network Engineer        Safe Data, Inc.