All -

This is just a proposal and could change in form in a major way over
time. Concrete is nowhere to be found in this proposal.

After giving the RexxUtil discussion more thought, I believe I have the
outline of a solution that will take us forward into the future. I
propose that we develop a set of classes that encapsulate operating
system specific functionality. While the classes would be the same for
all OSs, the methods in those classes may or may not compatible across
OSs. Here is a small incomplete list of classes.

file system
file
process and thread
network
user management

While the classes would be available for each OS, the methods might be
the same or completely different.

The really cool thing about a set of classes like this is that we can
reuse existing classes/functions to implement the methods. If a function
in RexxUtil already implements the functionality we need then we just
reference that function in the corresponding method in this class. If we
need a new library then we can create one specific to the OS.

Let me know what you think.

David Ashley