On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:25 AM, David Ashley <david.ashley....@gmail.com> wrote:

> After giving the RexxUtil discussion more thought, I believe I have the
> outline of a solution that will take us forward into the future. I
> propose that we develop a set of classes that encapsulate operating
> system specific functionality.

I think this aligns pretty closely with what we have been saying in
general.  As Rick points out, the file/file system part is already
done using the File class.  It is platform-neutral

> While the classes would be the same for
> all OSs, the methods in those classes may or may not compatible across
> OSs.

Well, I'd like, on general principle, to not place incompatible
methods in the platform neutral classes.  Under the covers, the
*implementation* can be different of course.  But, for incompatible
operating system functions, like reading and writing to the registry
on Windows, they should be in a Windows only class, or library.