I understand your point Chip, but couldn't you say the same thing for V4 in
general?

I don't see how the lack of a prior design document should keep us from
discussing how this particular bug request should be handled.

I would vote that this isn't a bug, but working as documented.  I would offer
to change this bug into an enhancement request.

Also I don't think your Facebook analogy is quite accurate.  It would be more
like Facebook changes the way Facebook works, which they seem to do a on
frequent basis.  My Facebook photo is user data, and to my knowledge we are not
changing any user data.  And besides, if you put Brad Pitt's photo on my
Facebook page, no one would notice the difference, since I'm mistaken for him
quite often. ;-)

Bruce