> I have just started work on a solution that no longer requires a single
> daemon for the platform but rather use a single process per Rexx user. Right
> now, I'm working on refactoring the code a bit to make it easier to plug in
> different management schemes, and the next step will be to convert Windows,
> which is the version that will require the most new code, then will address
> the *ix variants after that. I'll need so assistance from somebody on that
> step as I don't have a Linux setup any more. When this is all done, all of
> this daemon stuff, including the writing of the PID files should go away and
> things will get a lot simpler.

As already told the only reason rxapi needs to be run as sudo is that it writes
to /var/run

I have already - in my sandbox - modified rxapi
To get the OOREXX_PIDFILE environment variable and use it
I use export OOREXX_PIDFILE=/tmp/ooRexx.pid

And since SysLocalAPIManager starts the rxapi process
Nothing has to be done

I have been running for a few days with this setup and everything works as a
charm

I run successfully the test suite ( the native api section needs a few
adjustments )
rexx testOORexx -s -X native_api with 0 errors

I was able also  to build a fully relocatable binary that can run from a usb
stick with just a couple of exports
The new PATH for the bin directory of rexx, the NLSPATH for the rexx.cat and
the OOREXX_PIDFILE  for the rxapi thing

I have sent my binaries to P.O and Rony to have a confirmation of my findings
As soon as they confirm I will post a patch for wider testing

Cheers

Enrico