On Sat, 11 Jun 2022, at 13:35, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> my e-mail client is Thunderbird (TB) and it will supply different
> renderings of an e-mail if
> formatting is applied to it (using internally old HTML markup). TB in
> this particular e-mail message
> had an error

Yes.  Why do you compose mails like this in rich-text/HTML format
though?  If your mail is going to contain largish chunks of code it'd
surely be better just to compose and send in plain text, then you'd
not fall foul of TB's error.

According to
https://kb.mozillazine.org/Plain_text_e-mail_-_Thunderbird
in the section "Send both plain text and HTML" it says

   "... Thunderbird automatically creates a plain text version for
  you by stripping the HTML tags from a copy of the HTML
  message body. "

But clearly as well as stripping the <i> tags it inserted the
slashes.  Maybe that's because of what, on the same page,
at "Structured Text" it says

  "Thunderbird will display text in a plain text message in bold
  if its surrounded by '*', in italics if its surrounded by '/' and
  underline it if its surrounded by '_'."

But options for how it displays messages (for you) should have
nothing to do with the way it generates plain text to send out.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.