Well, after many weeks, the ISP, finally admitted that they have made a
change (see emails from the last couple of days, below).

Here's my summary of the problem, with 'before' and 'after' logs.  Any ideas
welcome ....

Mike
-------

Hi Vern,

I suspect when your colleague tried this they were *inside* your firewall.
But that is just a guess as I still have no idea what change you (ISP) made
on 24 April.  Perhaps you could share that information?  I've been using FTP
for forty years or so and could perhaps help you determine the problem.

I gave you the steps-by-steps when I first raised the ticket; the FTP trace
logs were attached (they show the FTP commands sent to your server and your
server's response to each).  It does not matter which client program sent
those commands.

I attach those two files again.  The key lines are:

a) from 20 April (all OK):

SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
CWD htdocs/gallery
250 OK. Current directory is /htdocs/gallery
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (213,171,193,5,162,222)
LIST -aL *.*
150 Accepted data connection
226 13 matches total
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (213,171,193,5,162,229)
STOR index.html
150 Accepted data connection
226-File successfully transferred

b) from 25 April and again 2 May (failed [and also fails with other
subdirectories, including /htdocs/gallery]):

SYST
215 UNIX Type: A
CWD /htdocs/mfc
250 Successful (/htdocs/mfc/)
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (213,171,193,5,211,117).
LIST -aL *.*
150 Opening data connection.
501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments.
QUIT
221 Service closing control connection.

I also pointed out in an earlier e-mail that I did try another client
(manual Windows FTP client) and that also failed, though that is not
necessarily for the same reason because I hadn't used the manual client for
a long time...

Hope that helps!

Mike

-------

ISP emails:

Your Ticket Summary

Subject

FTP failure 'bad syntax'

Response By Email (Wilfredo) (17/05/2024 02.56 PM)
Dear Mike,

Essentially you should be able to use any list commands so long as your
software really pass the passive mode. If your software can pass the passive
mode, that should do it. Our engineers presume your software, though it
state of already passing passive, is not really passing as your list command
was not recognised.

 For your case, you should be able to use "ls" - this still an acceptable
command.

Best regards,

Wilfredo
Fasthosts Customer Support

Customer By CSS Email (Mike Cowlishaw) (17/05/2024 01.37 PM)
Hi Wilfredo,

Many thanks for this .. I think this is progress (but I still cannot update
my files).

If you take a look at the second of the short logs in my e-mail of 10 May
7:52pm you will see that the library I am using is entering passive mode
successfully.  The error occurs upon the execution of the subsequent LIST
command.

Is it that the LIST command is no longer supported or it has different
flags/options?  (You used the 'ls' command, which is not a standard FTP
command?).

The library I am using is open source and I can probably get it changed or
change it myself, but I do need the details of what the current command it
(apparently) issues to get long format response (with size and date/time):

  list -al *.*

needs to be changed to.  Can you confirm if this is indeed the problem and
what the library should use instead to get the same results (with the -a and
-l flags).

Or, better still, could you not support the list command as you have done
for at least 15 years?  :-)

Thanks -- Mike

  _____

FTP failure 'bad syntax' [Incident: 240502-000345]

Response By Email (Wilfredo) (17/05/2024 11.00 AM)
Dear Mike,

Apologies for the delay in getting back Mike.

 I am writing to you regarding the recent FTP connectivity issues you
experienced on April 20, 2024. I would like to extend my sincere apologies
for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Upon investigating the matter further, we discovered that there was a
migration of our FTP infrastructure to our new state-of-the-art data center
facility. This is contrary to what has already been confirmed repeatedly
that were no changes. This migration led to a change in the configuration of
our FTP system, which ultimately resulted in the disruption of your FTP
connection that had been stable for years.

One key aspect of the new configuration is the requirement to pass the
passive flag before executing certain commands. As part of our
troubleshooting process, we initiated the 'ls' command, which successfully
listed the files in your directory. Here is a snippet of the output:

ftp> ls 227 Entering Passive Mode (213,171,193,5,227,19). 150 Opening data
connection. drwxrwxr-x 1 425c837c-12cc-11ef-90ee-001dd8f01d37
425c837c-12cc-11ef-90ee-001dd8f01d37 0 May 15 16:03 . drwx------ 1
1080331220 500 0 May 14 23:01 logfiles -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 1732 Jan 12 2022
security_health_check.log drwx---r-x 1 1080331220 500 0 Feb 29 18:04 htdocs
drwxr-xr-x 1 1080331220 0 0 Jan 19 2015 private 226 Closing data connection.
ftp>

We understand the frustration this issue has caused you, and we are working
diligently to ensure a smoother FTP experience moving forward. If you
encounter any further difficulties or require additional assistance, please
do not hesitate to contact us.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.
Your satisfaction is our top priority, and we are committed to resolving
this matter promptly.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best regards,

Wilfredo

  _____