Grand Rapids Public Library made all of it's training materials available via the Michigan Evergreen wiki when we went live:  http://mlc.lib.mi.us/wiki/index.php/Grand_Rapids_Public_Library_Training_Documents  These are actually more a users manual that we used as written support for formal training classes.  There's much more in them than can be covered in the training time we had, but they serve as a reference and, for those able to train themselves by reading the manual, more in-depth training docs.

If you're interested in what classes we held and what we actually covered in those classes, look at http://mlc.lib.mi.us/wiki/index.php/Class_Contents  Staff were required to attend certain classes depending on their responsibilities and we spent roughly 6 weeks in training to get everyone through the classes they needed, holding 35 classes total for roughly 400 (no, our staff isn't that large, they just had to take multiple classes).  This was our third migration to a new system in just the years I had been with GRPL and we knew how important formal training that tapped all the various learning styles would be to the success of our project, especially with the (mis)perception of greater riskiness to the migration, given Evergreen's open source nature and all.

As indicated on the index for them, these docs relied heavily on those created before them (the Evergreen community to the rescue once again!) and on our specific situation.  I'm afraid they haven't been updated since we went live 2 years ago, though we have a set internal to us that gets updated regularly as we learn more and upgrade the system.  This internal manual also includes exercises at the end of most sections, something that didn't get carried over into the MCLS set.

Last I knew, the training barcodes still worked, if you have access to the Michigan Evergreen test server . . .

Marla

open-ils-general-requ...@list.georgialibraries.org wrote:

Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Costs/Staff training/testing