Hi.
In this configuration either is good as users can only place holds on material within the same system (Consortium > System > Branches). I believe there would be a marginal preference for the second option - "holds placed by users who's home library is in my system" as that would include holds which as yet have no targets. Also I understand the specific need has arisen when looking at a new/popular title and for that title you just want to see the holds for patrons within your system.
I hope that helps.
Ian