On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 11:01:46AM -0800, Kmec wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to ask for help with some strange behavior of linux
> iscsi. Situation is as follows: iSCSI SAN Dell Equallogic, SAS 10k RPM
> drives, 4x Broadcom NIC or 4x Intel NIC in Dell R900 server (24 cores,
> 64 GB RAM). It's testing environment where we are trying to measure
> SAN Dell EQL performance.
>
> Totally we are solving 2 different issues:
> 1) In case of running IOmeter test on server running Windows 2008
> server, we are able to get 112 MBps read and 110 MBps write over 1NIC,
> 220 MBps read and 210 MBps over 2 NICs. On SuSE 10 or Centos 66 MBps
> read and 38 MBps write only over one NIC. So I think we can forget
> about finding issues on SAN or switch. Strange is, that with dd or
> hdparm we can get wirespeed. Question is what to do to get same
> numbers from IOmeter on Windows and Linux. We also tried dt tool and
> we get same results as from IOmeter.
> How to continue?

IIRC IOmeter for Linux had some issues.. related to queue depth maybe? So
you should use other tools than IOmeter on Linux. Dunno if that problem is
already fixed or if there is a patch available for IOmeter for Linux..

> 2) our next problem is multipath. When we configure multipath, over
> one NIC with dd we get 90 MBps read, but over 2 NICs just 80 MBps what
> is strange. On switch and SAN we see that data flow is over both NICs,
> but dd shows still 80 MBps.
>
> I will appreciate any suggestion.

Hmm.. what kind of path selector are you using on windows to split the IOs
between paths? How about on Linux?

-- Pasi