I do not have access to that exact code.

After the failure could you do

lsmod | grep iscsi_tcp

If that module is not loaded, could you do

modprobe iscsi_tcp

If that fails send the /var/log/messages output.

Could you also send me the /etc/init.d/open-iscsi file?

Could you also try maually starting the daemon.

1. modprobe iscsi_tcp
2. iscsid -d 8 -f &

// send all the output of the iscsid command above if that fails.