On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 06:18:07PM -0600, Mike Christie wrote:
> On 02/17/2016 05:01 PM, Chris Leech wrote:
> > The global cache is not well designed, it quickly can grow to the point
> > where lookups take much longer than just doing the sysfs read in the
> > first place.
>
> Patch looks good. Thanks for working on this.
>
> Is the device cache not as a issue because there are a lot fewer
> devices/cache entries, or because we just to not go down that code path
> as often?

More of the second I think. It doesn't pop up in a CPU profile, as
session login seems to be dominated by dominated by a mix of VFS
syscalls (mostly stat, lstat and open) now.

There's a bit of a memory footprint hit for it, more significant to
iscsiadm than iscsid which has much bigger memory costs.  With a bit of
testing to ensure it doesn't degrade anything it can probably be removed
as well.

- Chris