What's the word on this issue?

Last record I have is:

Okay, I think we need to back out these last two changes and revert back to revision 509885. Dave needs to go back to the drawing board for this "db2
optimization" change, probably create a JIRA report for this proposed
change, and use the design discussion associated with the JIRA process to
get the proper fix in place.

But that doesn't seem to have happened.

And just so they don't get lost, here were my responses to Patrick's suggestions:

3. OpenJPA does support a means of passing Oracle hints along through to the DBDictionary. Should we be trying to reuse some of the capabilities
here?

+1

4. In the following snippets, I'd rather if we used 'Integer.valueOf (1)' or, better yet, a symbolic constant, instead of creating new integer all
the time.

+        fetch.setHint("openjpa.hint.optimize", new Integer(1));

+       _query.getFetchConfiguration().
+               setHint("openjpa.hint.optimize", new Integer(1));

Use serp.util.Numbers.valueOf(x).
But actually I think both of these calls have to be more thoroughly re-thought. The FetchConfiguration is around for the life of the Broker/Query, and you're setting a hint on it that only applies to the very next call. What about all the other uses of the Broker or possible other executions of the Query?

5. I don't like the name 'openjpa.hint.optimize', as it's a bit
ambiguous as to what's being optimized. I don't really know what
'optimize for' does, so I'm just guessing here, but how about
'openjpa.ExpectedRecordCount'?

+1  But should be openjpa.hint.XXX -- see OracleDictionary.SELECT_HINT.

I think we should move all this to a SelectExecutor.ExpectedResultCount property. It could replace the current Union.isSingleResult property. The user can set an expected result count via the Query hint API, and it will get set into the Select. In cases where a query range is set the property will return the max - min of the range. And in cases where we know there's only one result like find() calls (actually JDBCStoreManager.load) we can use the property directly internally. The DBDictionary can then ask the Select for the expected count and do what it wants with it when creating the SQL.

by email and then delete it.