Olivier,

>>> On 5/25/2009 at  5:24 , Olivier LAHAYE <olivier.lah...@cea.fr> wrote:

>> http://open-vm-tools.wiki.sourceforge.net/Packaging
> Yes, I know this URL, unfortunately, I did not find any usefull tips
> regarding
> includes and devel parts.
> It looks like some .c files are shared between modules and tools, that some
> .h
> files are in tools build structure, but also used by some mudules

I don't think the tools are actually ready to be extended by 3rd-parties. As
such, I would not bother to much installing the devel packages.
Even the fact with new kernels might be rather tricky: the modules are known to
break with every single kernel release. Just now I'm stuck as
openSUSE is moving to 2.6.30, but the modules do not yet compile on this
kernel. Shame.

> - Put modules in a dkms package that build modules at boot if the kernel has
> been updated
I see, as your package is not as closely linked, it's probably the only way to
go.

> - Create a working open-vm-tools-devel package that permit developpements of
> new tools (tuypicaly would contain includes and .so files)

As stated above: I don't think the tools are solid enough to encourage any 3rd
party to develop on them out of the tree. Thus providing -devel
package is probably not yet a good idea anyhow.

>> Maybe you can have a look what I all did in the RPM for openSUSE? Might
> Thanks a lot for your help, I had a 1st look at your RPM spec file which
> looks
> very interresting (see mine attached).
> Unfortunately I don't quite understand the module part. As a distribution
> owner I understand that you create a binary package for the modules right?
> I assume that %suse_kernel_module_package -n vmware-guest -p %{SOURCE98} xen
> um does all the magic ;-)
> Although, I'm unable to follow this way as I'm not a Mandriva developper and

yes, indeed: this does a lot of magic. It creates module packages for all
different kernel flavors (different compiler options basically) and creates
one RPM per flavor. XEN being excluded (I doubt that anybody is running a
vmware inside a xen host or guest.. would not make to much sense). So yes,
being close tight to the distribution is a big advantage here.

> thus I'm unable to follow thightly all new kernel releases. If a user
> updates
> its kernel, then I'll loose ability to connect it its vm and I'll have to
> rebuild modules by hand.
> Thus I'm forced to go for the dkms way until Mandriva includes open-vm-tools
> in its main release tree.

You should encourage them to do so early. Less wasted time for you.

> Maybe one day all thoses modules will go into the standard linux kernel....
> who knows?

Oh.. THAT would be awesome. It would also finally stop us from being without
running vmware (workstation/player/tools) with every new kernel hitting
the shelfs. But I'm not sure I'm not to old already to still survive that day
(hey.. I'm only 32.. but who knows how long THIS is going to take).

Dominique