Danny wrote:
As I already explained in earlier posts, I'm having trouble setting up an AFS-cell. The cause of this trouble would be an outdated version of AFS. I'm working with version 1.2.10 while the latest version would be 1.2.13. But as I mentioned in the title, I am working with the Gentoo distribution, and Gentoo works with portage. This means that I download and install all my programs with one command.
Now I've searched for the openafs packages, and come to the conclusion that the latest package of openafs is the 1.2.11 version.
Can someone tell me what I should do to get the latest version with Gentoo, or is this impossible?

Danny,

As someone mentioned earlier, support for OpenAFS in Gentoo is essentially useless.

The good news is that the ebuild file for version in Portage will probably work unmodified if you just copy it and change its name. But don't do that in /usr/portage. Create /usr/local/portage (or wherever your make.conf says your PORTDIR_OVERLAY is. Create net-fs/openafs and copy everything from /usr/portage/net-fs/openafs there. Then you should be able to copy openafs-1.2.10-r1.ebuild to openafs-1.2.13.ebuild and type 'ebuild openafs-1.2.13.ebuild digest' and 'emerge openafs'. Note that this overlay will supersede Gentoo's release of 1.2.13, should it ever occur. If it does, you can just delete (or rename) your 1.2.13 ebuild.

Let me know if it works.

Steve