For a cache partition, at least on other *ixes, the cache partition
has always needed special attention because of the way its used by the
AFS kernel module.  Certain care has to be taken as to do operations
in such a way that kernel deadlocks and such are avoided.  For
example, on Solaris you use ufs, however, you can't use logging ufs
because of known deadlock problems.

I'd assume that the use of ext2 on Linux is for a similar reason.

-rob
Fascinating. I did not know of UFS logging issue on the cache partition. Strangely, I haven't heard of any issues. does ext3 have this issue as well?

I had used logging ufs as a cache partition for years without a problem as well -- but in the past couple years ran into deadlocks. I remember reliably seeing them under Solaris 10x86 on a Dell 2650 where it'd lock up right after AFS started and some automated processes were busy trying to access it.

-rob