I was waiting for Rodney to chime in, but I can confirm this. The UNC-Charlotte College of Engineering does store profiles in AFS. I'm the not the Windows guy, so I only know what Rodney has said. We have had small but persistent problem with the hanging of roaming profiles. Rodney has written scripts the delete hung profiles on reboot. From some research, the profile problems are not specific to AFS.

Here is Rodney's web page:
http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/

Sincerely,
Jason

Stephen Joyce wrote:
We (UNC-Chapel Hill Physics) have been doing this for a long time (4
years??)

I believe UNC-Charlotte's college of engineering has also been doing
this for a long time. Rodney Dyer has documented the details of it on his webpage (google will show you the page).

 It works OK. It's just not simple or painless.