On Apr 21, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

Robert Banz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Well, the issue was if you're using it on a server, and using what a lot of people still consider the default (the inode fileserver), apocalyptic
dataloss may occur.

Oh, right, I completely forgot about that.

I would say that in addition to recommending people use logging with ufs (or better, zfs!), that we should also push for deprecation of the inode
fileserver ;)

I think it's generally a good idea to stick with one server implementation on all platforms since that way everyone runs the same (tested) code, but I seem to recall the migration from inode to namei is pretty heinous (as in you probably can't do it in place and need to bring up another server
and move everything).

Nothing wrong with leaving the code in there, just don't make it the default.

I get the feeling that someone with a large amount of data in inode form might have the impetus to write up a migration tool ;)

-rob