On 1/29/2010 7:18 AM, David Boyes wrote:
> On 1/29/10 6:31 AM, "Simon Wilkinson" <s...@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Ultimately this is the key issue. Until it becomes a high priority for
>> someone, and that person publishes the necessary configuration, this isn't
>> going to improve. Equally critically, we need people to take responsibility
>> for maintaining the packaging as releases occur.
>>
>> Any volunteers?
>
> Got a few other things to do at the moment, but we should discuss this
> off-list. There may be an opportunity to do something about this.

Derrick and Doug Engert have been the Binary Release builders for
Solaris.  (See the Port Masters / Binary Release Builders list
at http://www.openafs.org/credits.html).  I suspect that if OpenAFS were
contributed scripts for constructing native installation packages that
they would be willing to make use of them.

If you would like to participate in release building, please add
yourself to the release-team mailing list and participate in the
release team Jabber meetings that occur prior to each release.

On 1/29/2010 7:12 AM, David Boyes wrote:
> Meh. The Transarc paths are passably tolerable, no need to invent a wheel
> for invention's sake. It'd be useful to see what others have done to
see if
> my assumptions are close to what others do. Anyone that would be
willing to
> let me look at what they've done would be appreciated -- no strings
> attached.

Transarc paths continue to be used in Solaris packaging for consistency
with prior releases.  We are conservative about changing the defaults
in order to make upgrading for existing deployments easier.  This is
not to say that changes cannot be made but we would prefer that there
be either significant reasons for doing so or strong support from the
community for the change.

Jeffrey Altman