On Jan 29, 2010, at 5:56 AM, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net> wrote:

On 1/29/10 5:02 AM, "Atro Tossavainen"
<atro.tossavainen+open...@helsinki.fi> wrote:

Is everybody still writing their own SMF bits to start OpenAFS on
Solaris 10 without /etc/init.d bits, or is there already a Received
Way of doing this?

It's bothered me for some time that a basic infrastructure item like AFS is distributed in a way that bypasses the OS software management system on most platforms. I guess it's a time/resources thing, but still -- seems wrong,
somehow. It's not that hard to do, especially on Solaris and AIX.

I spent some time this week looking at why OpenAFS for Solaris isn't
distributed as a installable package instead of a tarball.

Long ago it was written, but it assumed Transarc paths, and was cumbersome to build. I suspect I know where it is. But it never went anywhere. My impression is the tools have improved.

I wrote some
scripting to do a proper Solaris SMF item for startup as part of the
post-install action in the package. If you have suggestions on the
implementation -- particularly what you think the canonical location for files should be if you're not using Transarc paths -- let's share notes
off-list.

I'll try to get around to send this (and the AIX installp stuff) upstream at
some point in the future. Not a high priority for me at the moment.