On 5 Mar 2010, at 18:34, eric.hagb...@morganstanley.com wrote:

This took a little longer to set up than I'd hoped, as 1.5.72 doesn't work under RHEL4 (the platform on which I was doing most of my tests), due to the lack of zero_user_segments and page_offset in the compiled kernel module.

Okay, I should fix both of these (I think they're both my fault).

However, the results running 1.5.72 on a RHEL5 system are pretty much the same as with 1.4.x (where x is greater than or equal to 2), wrt system time creep.

One thing I'd noticed in RHEL4 tests (systemtap doesn't seem to give the same result under RHEL5) is that the system time usage corresponds to high frequencies of calling afs_ComputePAGStats. Compiling with AFS_NOSTATS defined or commenting out the section of code in src/afs/afs_user.c that calls afs_ComputePAGStats also relieves the problem.

Just to be clear here, are you seeing a high number of calls to afs_ComputePAGStats, or a large amount of system time spent in that function?

I can't see a call to afs_ComputePAGStats in afs_user.c - are you just commenting out the body of the function, or is there a call site that I am missing?

Cheers,

Simon.