On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

One thing I'd noticed in RHEL4 tests (systemtap doesn't seem to give
the same result under RHEL5) is that the system time usage
corresponds to high frequencies of calling afs_ComputePAGStats.
Compiling with AFS_NOSTATS defined or commenting out the section of
code in src/afs/afs_user.c that calls afs_ComputePAGStats also
relieves the problem.

Just to be clear here, are you seeing a high number of calls to
afs_ComputePAGStats, or a large amount of system time spent in that
function?

High number of calls to afs_ComputePAGStats, resulting in system time being consumed unreasonably, due to it and corresponding text.lock.spinlock system calls.

I can't see a call to afs_ComputePAGStats in afs_user.c - are you just
commenting out the body of the function, or is there a call site that
I am missing?

Sorry, cut-n-paste error. I meant the call to afs_ComputePAGStats in src/afs/afs_pioctl.c