On 5/4/2010 10:56 AM, Lobaugh, John wrote:

> Is the reg setting
>
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\transarcafsdaeomon/PriorityClass
>
> used with version 1.4.2.0  of the Windows AFS service ?

PriorityClass is not present in the 1.4.2 distribution.

> We have been struggling with a deadlock issue on two Windows 2003
> servers where this setting is not present. The issue is not occuring on
> some other servers where the setting is present.
>
> John Lobaugh

Windows Server 2003 with SP2 applied with deadlock in the SMB redirector
if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969289 is not installed.  In tracking
down the source of these deadlocks with Microsoft numerous changes where
made to the OpenAFS client to improve its compatibility with Microsoft's
SMB client.  These first appeared in the 1.5.59 release.

The present release is 1.5.74 which had many more significant changes
including corrections to the Rx library errors that were causing RPCs to
timeout and be retried putting additional stress on Microsoft's SMB client.

The SMB client has a limited number of worker threads, 10 to be precise.
 If all 10 workers are in use and communicating with the same SMB
server, for example \\AFS, then if one of the workers decides that the
connection must be broken and re-established, there is no free worker
thread to perform the queued request.  It is at this point that a
deadlock occurs.   The changes made in the KB969289 hotfix to the SMB
redirector is to extend the timeout period from 45 seconds to several
minutes.  It is still up to the AFS SMB server to make sure that a
response is sent in time.  Otherwise, a deadlock can occur.

If you can, please use the latest OpenAFS client.  1.4.2 is ancient history.

Jeffrey Altman