> Yeah, sorry.  :/  We're not using Autoconf properly in a lot of ways.
> We're closer than we were, but the configure and build machinery still
> needs a lot of cleanup.

I need to do some work in this area as well. Is there a set of requirements, or
at least a rough set of expectations as to what a rational build process should
do for OpenAFS, ie, what sort of packages does it need to build, platforms,
etc?

How much restructuring of the build process is tolerable? The current one is
pretty messy, and really difficult to automate/test in any easy way. Would it
be feasible to scrap the accumulated cruft and fit it into a more modern build
framework like cmake? There has been some talk of using the Sun build tool, but
with Oracle's recent attitude problems, I'd rather use something that doesn't
depend on their good graces.