Those are from the developer/packagers perspective. From the
user's perspective the problem is that we look like a standard
autoconf package. People expect these to work in a particular
way, and we currently don't. So, we should work on taking CC
(we do, on Linux) CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and so on on the
command line, and doing the right thing with them. The fact
that we don't is largely to do with the complexity of the
build system necessary to support all the different targets
listed above.

We never can, in some sense, unless we force people to build as
root or have 2 sets of behavior, one if root, one if not. Make
install should install a kernel module, right? Well, ...

I'm not following your question here.  Wouldn't one build as
a regular user and then install as root?  Something like

make
sudo make install