Hi,

One of the issues that comes up from time to time is what actually constitutes
a bug worthy of a security advisory. Sometimes this is really clear cut, but in
other areas, in particular in relation to our Unix kernel modules, the dividing
line is significantly less clear. Getting this right is important. On one hand,
we have an obligation to make people aware quickly when there is an issue that
affects the security of their systems. On the other hand, when a change
addresses a security issue we have historically made a release containing just
that change. Making security releases is expensive and time consuming - it
removes developer effort from all of the other things that we want to get done,
and delays the arrival of releases that actually contain new code.

The problem is that any programming mistake in our kernel module will generally
result either in the machine locking up, or in the AFS filesystem becoming
unusable. We generally find out about these mistakes because a local user
triggers them, so from a security point of view, virtually all of them are a
local denial of service attack.

My proposal, going forwards, is to not produce security advisories or releases
for these local denial of service attacks. Local issues that can result in
privilege escalation, or denial of service attacks that can be performed by
those outside a sites infrastructure would still result in advisories.

My supplemental question, is just how much use the "security releases" actually
are. Most of our packagers ignore them, in favour of pulling the patches that
we release with the advisory into their packaging. Is just providing these
patches sufficient? Is there actually a demand for a "super-stable" point
update that just contains the security code, or is it acceptable to provide the
security fix as part of a normal stable release?

I'd welcome feedback about both of these.

Cheers,

Simon.
(with his OpenAFS Security hat