On 15 Apr 2011, at 20:43, David Boyes wrote:

> A variation of this comment: much of the complexity of deploying a fix is
> related to packaging. Investment in simplifying and automating the process of
> creating and deploying a new package would probably help somewhat with the
> pain level of creating a new release. The current build system is not helpful
> at all in that area.

Sadly, the issue is not related to build system complexity.

When a new release happens, it relies on a number of volunteers who build and
test the source on their respective platforms. We generally try to ensure that
we have good build and test coverage before making a release, which all takes
time. For RedHat, for example, a complete set of builds for a new release can
take nearly a week to complete. Whilst we could automate portions of this build
process for all of the systems we have buildbots for, we can't automate the
testing process and this stage remains important, if only to pick up bad builds.

We need to be careful that we don't burn out the volunteers who provide this
service by creating releases too frequently. This is going to be especially
important in the next few months when we'll be maintaining both a new stable
series (1.6.x) and a legacy one (1.4.x)

Cheers,

Simon.