> > FindClient: stillborn client 74024d60(d16fe8cc); conn 180213d0
> > (host MY.CLI.ENT.IP:7001) had client f402fa30(d16fe8cc)
> > CB: RCallBackConnectBack (host.c) failed for host MY.CLI.ENT.IP:7001
> > CB: WhoAreYou failed for host 34015890 (MY.CLI.ENT.IP:7001), error 1
> >
> > Could these messages be indicating a problem? (They appear frequently in
> > the logs and I cannot tell if they correspond to specific read or write
> > actions on the clients.)
>
> Yes, they indicate that the fileserver cannot contact that client to
> tell it that the files have changed (well, the latter two, anyway). Is
> that client behind a NAT or some kind of stateful firewall?

No, the client has a static IP.

> Assuming not, a simple test you can perform to check that a client is

reachable from the fileserver is by running:

> rxdebug <client> 7001 -version

doh! that does not respond.

in Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> "Allow a program or feature through
Windows Firewall" it seems like the OpenAFS client must have attempted to
add itself, but not completely... i see a checkbox under the "Public"
network type, but not in the "Domain" or "Home/Work (Private)" network
type.  when I add those checkboxes, then rxdebug <client> 7001 -version
works.

is it intentional to only allow 7001 on Public networks but not on Domain
networks?

thanks for the quick reply!
--
Jonathan