From: openafs-info-ad...@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-ad...@openafs.org] On
Behalf Of Jonathan Nilsson
Sent: den 13 december 2011 03:28
To: Andrew Deason
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Re: windows openafs cache not updating

> FindClient: stillborn client 74024d60(d16fe8cc); conn 180213d0
> (host MY.CLI.ENT.IP:7001) had client f402fa30(d16fe8cc)
> CB: RCallBackConnectBack (host.c) failed for host MY.CLI.ENT.IP:7001
> CB: WhoAreYou failed for host 34015890 (MY.CLI.ENT.IP:7001), error 1
>
> Could these messages be indicating a problem? (They appear frequently in
> the logs and I cannot tell if they correspond to specific read or write
> actions on the clients.)
Yes, they indicate that the fileserver cannot contact that client to
tell it that the files have changed (well, the latter two, anyway). Is
that client behind a NAT or some kind of stateful firewall?

No, the client has a static IP.

Assuming not, a simple test you can perform to check that a client is
reachable from the fileserver is by running:

rxdebug <client> 7001 -version

doh! that does not respond.

in Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> "Allow a program or feature through
Windows Firewall" it seems like the OpenAFS client must have attempted to add
itself, but not completely... i see a checkbox under the "Public" network type,
but not in the "Domain" or "Home/Work (Private)" network type.  when I add
those checkboxes, then rxdebug <client> 7001 -version works.

is it intentional to only allow 7001 on Public networks but not on Domain
networks?

thanks for the quick reply!
--
Jonathan

from the fileserver. If that does not respond with the version of that
client, check firewalls et al and allow port udp 7001 to the client.
This is assuming, though, that the client generally stays up. It can be
normal to see messages like that if the client is abruptly removed from
the network or shutdown in an unclean fashion, etc.

--
Andrew Deason
adea...@sinenomine.net<mailto:adea...@sinenomine.net>