My big concern is that nightly installable builds will be a support
nightmare.
There are a large number of users that will always take the latest no
matter what.

I realize there is an argument to be made for users being free to do
hang themselves.  But I question whether that is what organizational
help desks are prepared to support.

The real issue that needs to be addressed is how to produce supportable
releases on a more frequent basis.  In the past the consensus among the
gatekeepers has been to move to a biweekly release cycle.  Whatever is
ready for a given release date gets pulled up and anything that isn't,
doesn't.

However, this requires having a much greater availability of release
management and testing resources.

Coupled with the biweekly release schedule, I believe it is important
that the web site provide guidance to end users as to which release
build is known to be reliable on which platforms.   Otherwise, users
will
always go for the most recent build and frequently end up with something
much less reliable than we would prefer.

Jeffrey Altman