On 9/14/2012 12:12 PM, David Boyes wrote:
>>> All this talk about 'reliable code for our users' is total BS until
>>> 'make check' actually does some realisitic functionality tests.
>>> If you can't write an automated test for a feature, they I would
>>> request we consider disabling that feature.
>
> I'm not sure this is a realistic goal in a single machine environment. For a
> realistic testing environment, you need at least 10 system images (and the
> ability to create a lot more would be very desirable for some of the subtler
> bugs), and the ability to control time and replay multiple streams of events
> in a repeatable way. It involves a separate Kerberos infrastructure, and a
> lot of other moving parts, plus a lot of scripting to build the environment ,
> run the test, and then reset the environment for the next run. You also need
> different types of systems, different OS levels, etc which complicate the
> test even further.
>
> It's not impossible, but I can say that it cost a fair amount (in the
> mid-to-high 5 digit range) to build that environment here.

David,

In this case I think you are low-balling the estimate.  To do it right
it isn't sufficient to test one build against itself.  You need to test
new clients against a range of old servers and vice versa in a
constrained environment.  It is necessary to be able to identify when a
change has an adverse performance impact as well as accuracy.  There is
a need to be able to introduce intentional errors at various points in
the protocol.  Just the hardware costs are mid 5 digits and the software
development is significantly more than that.

Jeffrey Altman