Stephen,

I spoke up because Ben asked if my companies would be willing to sign
the OSX installers since we sign the Windows installers.  I explained
why we sign the Windows installers but not others.  I would much rather
not be signing the Windows installers but do so knowing that the OpenAFS
Foundation is not currently in a position to take over the responsibility.

The legal liability issues is a subject that I have raised since joining
the Elders.  It was one of the reasons we wanted a stand alone
incorporated Foundation instead of an unincorporated association which
is how OpenAFS operates today.  Being able to sign binaries is also one
of the reasons that we could not make use of one of the open source
umbrella organizations since those organizations cannot isolate
liability risks between projects.

Jeffrey Altman