Never mind. I figured it out!

I got the Kerberos login to work by running:
# authconfig  --enablekrb5 --update
Then I updated /etc/pam.d/system-auth by adding pam_afs_session.so as
described in the manual. At first, that didn't work, but then I discovered
that pam.d/sshd included password-auth instead of system-auth, so I fixed
that.

Now, when I log in, I automatically get an AFS token.
I next fixed the permissions in my home directory by adding my user to the
ACL. Now I can write into my home directory! I think we're there.

--
Steve