remove my only real use case for relying on the output of  pts membership in
decommissioning.

Richard

On 2022-07-15, 09:04, "Jeffrey E Altman" <jalt...@auristor.com> wrote:

    On 7/13/2022 6:07 PM, Richard Brittain (richard.britt...@dartmouth.edu)
    wrote:
    > I hope that doesn't lead people to expect 'pts membership
system:authuser' to show all users.

    > Richard

    I'm curious.  Why would it be wrong for users to expect 'pts membership
    system:authuser' and 'pts membership system:anyuser' to list their
    membership assuming the caller had the necessary access rights?  My
    primary objection to the existing behavior is that these groups are
    special and end users / administrators must understand that they are
    special.   If an authorized user can obtain the membership list from
    'pts membership system:authuser@foreign' why shouldn't the same be true
    for 'system:authuser'?   If the concern is the cost of generating the
    result set, its no more expensive then executing 'pts listentries'.

    In a private response to my original message someone wrote that their
    cell uses the output of 'pts membership' to generate the list of
    entities that have access to a file object given the assigned ACL.  This
    is a perfectly reasonable action to expect to work.  However, the
    generated list will be incomplete when 'pts membership system:anyuser'
    and 'pts membership system:authuser' succeed while at the same time
    generate empty output.

    Jeffrey Altman