On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:32:54AM -0500, David Teigland wrote:
> A while back I drew this diagram to show what we were aiming to design, in
> broad terms, for the next generation aisexec/cman config system:
>
>   http://people.redhat.com/teigland/cman3.jpg
>
> I think perhaps that diagram attempts to do too much, and I've drawn
> another:
>
>   http://people.redhat.com/teigland/cman3b.jpg
>
> The big problem I see with the first diagram is that it tries to use objdb
> to solve the meta-configuration problem [1].  That's a hard problem, I'm
> not sure objdb is the right place to solve it, I don't think we have
> enough information to solve it properly right now, and I don't see that we
> have a pressing need to solve it right now.  So, the second diagram steps
> back to what Fabio has already implemented, more or less.

There were quite a few things wrong in the cman3b diagram, so based on the
explanation from Chrissie and Fabio, here's another:

http://people.redhat.com/teigland/cman3c.jpg

(The "assumes" comments don't mean it would be impossible to use one lib
with a different config plugin, but that it wouldn't make sense to do so
in practice.)

> Lon pointed out another problem with the first diagram, and that's that we
> want to be able to read config values without openais running, and running
> properly.  That's one of the things we were trying to get away from with
> ccsd.

The cman3c diagram does not solve this problem, but it could by caching a
local copy of the config data to use when aisexec is not running.