On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 01:50:18PM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> For added fun, a node that restarts quickly enough (think a VM) won't
> even appear to have left (or rejoined) the cluster.
> At the next totem confchg event, It will simply just be there again
> with no indication that anything happened.
>
> At least this is true for the raw corosync/openais membership data,
> perhaps CPG can infer this some other way.

Cpg should not let a node go away and come back without notice.  In practice
I'd expect back to back confchg's: one showing it leave and another showing it
join.  As Chrissie mentioned earlier, cpg shouldn't show the same node both
leaving and joining in a single confchg.  In theory I think it would be
legitimate.

Consider a couple examples.
m: member list, j: joined list, l: left list

1. nodes A and B join at once
A gets confchg: m=A,B j=A,B l=
B gets confchg: m=A,B j=A,B l=

2. node C joins
A gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=C l=
B gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=C l=
C gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=C l=

3. node C leaves and quickly rejoins in a single confchg
A gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=C l=C
B gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=C l=C
C gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=C l=C

4. node D joins and quickly leaves (or fails) in a single confchg
A gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=D l=D
B gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=D l=D
C gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=D l=D
D gets confchg: m=A,B,C j=D l=D ?*

* if D does a quick join+leave it may expect to see this confchg showing it in
the joined list, the left list, and not in the member list.

Again, the examples in 3 and 4 are, I think, legitimate in theory.  In
practice it sounds like they won't occur.

If a quick leave+join is guaranteed to be visible through cpg, then it must be
possible to observe at the lower level from raw corosync data.

Dave